Father Stanisław Prokop, OMI (1910 – 1969)


Born on 10 February 1910 in Hajduki in Silesia, and died on 12 October 1992. He completed a one-year novitiate (1930-1931) in Markowice, Pomerania. Received training in the Seminary in Krobia and Obra (voivodeship Poznan), and was ordained on 21 June 1936.


Fr. Prokop came to Canada in 1936. He served the pastoral ministry for the following parishes: Holy Rosary Church in Winnipeg (MB), St. Stanislaus in East Selkirk (MB), Garson (MB), St. Stanislaus Kostka in Toronto (ON), St. Hyacinth in Ottawa (ON), Our Lady Queen of Poland in Toronto (ON), and Our Lady of Perpetual Help in St. Catharines (ON). When serving at St. Stanislaus, he was remarkably involved in the activities that brought into being the St. Casimir’s Church.

After coming to Ottawa on 21 September 1958, Fr. Prokop became the second parish priest for the St. Hyacinth’s Church, and eagerly continued expanding the parish which was started by his predecessor Fr. Jan Sajewicz. The interior of the church was enhanced by the triangular stained-glass window portraying Saint Hyacinth. The stained-glass window, designed by Wacław Czerwiński, was mounted above the main altar, and extending to the left-side icon of Our Lady of Chęstochowa, designed by Bolesław Rutkowski, and to the right-side altar of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. The reliefs depicting the Stations of the Cross were crafted by Edward Koniuszy according to the design of Roman J. Stankiewicz.

In 1966, to commemorate the Millennium of Christianization of Poland, the church was renovated, and the marble altar with two pulpits was purchased. During this special time of the millennial celebrations in the Church of Saint Hyacinth “Jasna Góra Oaths of the Polish Nation” were read. The same Oaths made by Primate of Poland, Stefan Wyszyński’s at the Jasna Góra Monastery in Częstochowa.

Father Prokop left Ottawa in 1969.

He died on October 12, 1992 in Toronto, Ontario.


Jabloński, A.M. (2007). Rys Historii Kościoła i Parafii św. Jacka Odrowąża. In (n.d.) 50 lecie Parafii św. Jacka Odrowąża 1957-2007. Ottawa.

St. Stanislaw Kostka Church in Toronto – Historia parafii. (n.d.)
Retrieved from: http://www.stanislaw.ca/eng_hist_part_1_p_4.htm


English translation /SH/


Download PDF